The island’s history began in the 15th century when Franciscan friars established Munklägret, a monastic community focused on agriculture and brickmaking. After the Swedish Reformation, the site became royal property, and in 1672, it was renamed Kungsholmen. The 17th century saw the creation of brickyards and the first bridge, setting the stage for industrial expansion. By the 18th century, the Swedish crown transformed former estates into factories, including a cotton mill in Hornsberg and a porcelain factory in Marieberg. The mid-19th century brought Samuel Owen’s industrial ventures, while the Bolinder brothers’ AB Separator factory, established in 1890, grew into a global enterprise with over 2,000 workers. This industrial boom triggered a population surge, doubling from 4,000 in 1860 to 26,000 by 1890. The early 20th century saw radical redevelopment: factories were replaced by housing and institutions like St. Görans Church (1910), designed by Gustaf Améen. The 1930s functionalist city plan reshaped Fredhäll and Kristineberg, while the 1950s Stockholm metro linked Kungsholmen to suburbs. Today, the island balances its industrial past with modern landmarks like Stockholm City Hall (1911–1923) and the network of bridges connecting it to districts like Norrmalm and Solna.
Written by Nik Frost
Discuss this with the author and others
No comments yet. Be the first to start the conversation.